It’s a completely separate matter to know what questions to ask before you go, to know if you can trust the program you are signing up with, how to tell if the program’s requests for payment or information are legitimate.
To help address these concerns…
Idealist.org is proud to announce the launch of the International Volunteerism Resource Center – “a free, comprehensive online source of information, tools, and strategies for making informed decisions about engaging in meaningful international service.”
Find answers to questions like…
- What is international volunteering?
- What should I consider before deciding to volunteer in another country?
- What are some of the ethical and cost issues associated with volunteering abroad?
- Should I go with a volunteer-sending organization or on my own?
- How do I choose a volunteer-sending organization or program?
- How do I find, plan, and embark on my own independent volunteer abroad experience?
- What questions should I ask to determine if an opportunity or organization is legitimate? A good fit for me?
- How might I volunteer while studying abroad, going on a gap year, or working abroad?
- How might I volunteer abroad with my family or employer?
- How do I determine what skills I have to offer and identify skilled volunteer opportunities abroad?
- What should I know before I go? What logistics should I take care of?
- What are my rights and responsibilities as an international volunteer?
- How can I ease my transition home?
- What are some strategies for translating my international experience into a career?
The International Volunteerism Resource Center aims to be a comprehensive, easy to use, and accessible collection of information, opportunities, and all-things-useful for both those interested in volunteering in another country as well as those who already have.
We want feedback from current, future and past volunteers so please share your suggestions and critiques with my award-winning colleague Erin, email@example.com.