The Indian service program that recruits people of Indian family background, from all around the world, has launched a program to offer shorter-term opportunities specifically for young professionals.
Indicorps invites young Indian professionals to commit their time and skills to India through the Young Professionals Initiative (YPI), a new sabbatical program that allows people to meaningfully bring their knowledge and talents to India.
YPI, still in pilot phase, offers new experts in a variety of fields the opportunity to participate in half-year, goal-oriented service projects that can have an enormous impact for good on Indian communities.
The program will run between July 1 and December 1, 2009.
Associates will take on these projects (see full project descriptions):
- Legal: Amend Gujarat court processes to reduce sizeable backlog of cases.
- Finance: Assist a socially responsible start-up business to create robust franchise systems and strong local entrepreneurs.
- Information Technology: Integrate information systems for bottom of the pyramid start-up business.
- Marketing: Capture stories to generate interest in Ahmedabad’s unique 600-year heritage.
- Environmental Planning: Reinvigorate urban environmental policies for the walled-city of Ahmedabad.
- Education: Formulate innovative public-private partnerships to increase the adult literacy rate.
- Education Policy: Strategize comprehensive action plan for statewide vocational programs.
YPI aims to empower young professionals to understand that their potential extends beyond traditional, corporate office jobs. As with all Indicorps programs, YPI Associates will be constantly challenged and encouraged to explore their roles as changemakers.
The program begins with a week-long orientation and includes a in-service and end-of-service gatherings to track progress and share experiences. Indicorps is looking for applicants with at least three years of work experience in a capacity relevant to their applicable project.
The program is unpaid and Associates are responsible for covering their airfare to and from India, housing, food, and other expenses. Read the Young Professionals Initiative F.A.Q.
Learn more and apply. Indicorps will review applications on a rolling basis until the start date, but preference will be given to applications before 1 May 2009.
Please contact us at ypi [at] indicorps.org with any questions.